Tuesday, December 28, 2004

(mis)adventures

Sorry I haven't updated in a while... I didn't feel as though there was much to add when I was home in Maine for the holidays, although it was great to see the family, as well as Elise from Dartmouth.

I got up nice and early to start the car this morning in Maine. But by the time my dad and I got to the airport, I forgot that it was MY set of keys we had driven there with. By the time I got to Atlanta, I had a voicemail message from Dad telling me he had the keys... needless to say, headaches ensued. I'm currently in Denver, locked out of my car and without my luggage (which Delta managed to lose). I spent hours on outdoor payphones (with no jacket, hat or gloves) trying to get a new key, but to no avail, so I have to wait until tomorrow. Not only that, it seems as though either (1) my new monoski hasn't arrived in Denver yet even though it should have been here Friday, or (2) the people who should have received it don't even even realize they have it.

On the bright side, I'm staying at the Doubletree Hotel in Denver, which is really nice and faux-Art Deco-ish and somehow also really cheap. And while enjoying my two complimentary White Russians at the hotel bar, I met two adorable Swedes (Linnea and Charlotte) who work for Volvo. They had just arrived in the U.S. for the first time and will be spending the next three months driving around the country promoting cars at American ski resorts. Talk about a dream job... and dream salespeople! Linnea even brought up The Big Lebowski when she saw me drinking White Russians, and then we had a nice conversation about how secular Europe is and how religious we are. I hope I run into them at breakfast tomorrow. I also hope I get a new car key and that my monoski shows up.

From a linguistic perspective, this is a sad story.

No comments: