Monday, December 19, 2005

Mortgage Capital

That's what it says on a sign outside the second floor of the building I live in. I don't know much about mortgages, but I'm guessing the kind of "capital" they mean here is "wealth in the form of money or other assets owned by a person or organization or available or contributed for a particular purpose such as starting a company or investing" (thanks, NOAD!). Nonetheless, it makes me think of the Jay-Z song "Lucifer," where Jay raps the line, "I'm from the murder capital, where we murder for capital." I think there should be a Herbert Kornfeld-like white rapper from, like, Connecticut who raps about how he's "from the mortgage capital, where we mortgage for capital." I have this thought every time I see the sign as I'm entering my building.

No comments: