Tuesday, February 08, 2005

mardi gras, mon ami!

I've been waiting for a day like this. After making some more adjustments to my new rig last night, I'm finally starting to feel pretty comfortable in it. I free-skied for a while this morning with Nick, and then we trained slalom after lunch. Also, I'm pretty sure I was wrong last week when I thought I had blown out my shock, because it was working fine today. So in a nutshell, yesterday I was pretty sure I wouldn't be ready to take my new monoski to Europe, but today I'm pretty sure I will.

Let's see, what else has been going on... yesterday I was woken up at 7:30 a.m. (on my day off) by two USADA officials for a random drug test. This was only my second time being tested, and the first time out-of-competition. It's kind of scary because from the moment they inform you you're being tested until the moment you seal up your urine samples, you're not allowed to leave their sight. It's not like, "Here, go pee in this cup and bring it back when you're done"; it's more like, "I will now watch you pee into this cup." Then there's an elaborate procedure involving the unpacking and repacking of specimen bottles and the breaking of seals and the sealing of seals and the signing of declarations that everything was conducted in a kosher manner. They sure know how to cover their asses.

And now, some miscellany:

  • A lot of Dartmouth alumni are total idiots. Take, for example, this guy. I'm sorry, but having a losing football team is not a "catastrophe." In fact, it could be an indication that the college's administration is focusing on more important things.

  • Have you seen Jon Stewart's infamous appearance on Crossfire? It's about time someone called Tucker Carlson out.

  • Right after Christmas, I bought myself a copy of Dylan's new memoir from an Amazon Marketplace seller. When I still hadn't received the book 3 weeks later, I emailed the seller and got no response. A week later I emailed them again, once more in vain. So the other day I filed for a refund from Amazon and left the seller a nasty comment on his profile. Out of curiosity, I checked out the comments other people had left him. Apparently this guy is just a scam artist posing as an actual bookseller. I hope I get my money back and he gets sent to jail.

  • Don't even ask me how I stumbled upon this site... but I'm glad I did.

No comments: