Perhaps it would interest the reader to know that the idea for this blog was conceived while driving across Iowa, a very boring state which also, perversely, supported George W. Bush in the recent election despite having defeated him in 2000. While driving, I jotted down a list of possible titles (don't worry, Mom, my eyes never left the road). The next day, while driving across Nebraska, I pared the list down to the current title. In the end I decided it would be best to go with something vaguely skiing-related.
The list of alternate contenders, annotated:
- "yellowsnow" (Tasteless.)
- "middle park" (Too obscure; this is the name of the region in Colorado where Winter Park is located as well as the name of the local high school.)
- "vox clamantis in colorado" (Too Dartmouth-y.)
- "blue america" (Too political. Besides, it's probably taken.)
- "boards of colorado" (Too obscure.)
- "downhill battle" (A witty pun, but alas, already taken by a website that has nothing to do with skiing.
- "patriotism means never having to say you're sorry" (Too cynical, preachy, political, and just plain pretentious.)
- "meg white and the seven dwarves" (Too random, but I'll be damned if that wouldn't make a great name for Meg's backing band, should she ever go solo.)