Wednesday, August 30, 2006

modern times

In case you've been living under a rock, Dylan's new album, Modern Times, came out yesterday. I love it and will have more to say about it in the future, but today I was pleasantly surprised to read that my current favorite track, "When the Deal Goes Down," is the first single. Today Sony launched a streamable video for the song on their website, starring Scarlett Johansson in a gorgeous clip shot on old film stock or with old-school lighting or something. (You film snobs out there can tell me what exactly they did to get this effect.) I would love it if there was a way to watch this on my roommate's 50" TV. Watch it here.

Update: Thanks to SJR, here's a link directly to the video file so you can download it and enjoy it in its full sun-washed glory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another one of my favorite things about the album is how Dylan has kept up his own tradition, of name-checking other musicians (Alicia Keys here) and borrowing liberally from his musical forebears. "Thunder on the Mountain" is straight up Chuck Berry, "Rollin' and Tumblin'" is a rewrite of a blues tune Muddy Waters made famous, same with "Someday Baby," "The Levee's Gonna Break" is another blues standard rewrite (for most popular version see, Zeppelin, Led).

I definitely agree "When The Deal Goes Down" is one of my favorites from the album, maybe one of his best out-and-out ballads ever. And who doesn't love looking at Scarlett Johansson for five consecutive minutes?